Aetherius Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aetherius Network

International multi-gaming guild since 2006.

HomeAetheriusEventsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Come chat with us on Discord! It's where everyone is at now! https://discord.gg/aBSngGf
Check out our Aetherius Network Facebook Page to see upcoming news and/or enter giveaways.
Follow us on Twitter!

MMO Players - Hidden Champions?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shu
Celestial Council
Celestial Council
Shu

Male
Number of posts : 10794
IGN[Game NickName] : Ashura/Iori Yagami
Current Status : Busy at Work
Registration date : 2008-03-31

MMO Players - Hidden Champions? Empty

PostSubject: MMO Players - Hidden Champions?   MMO Players - Hidden Champions? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 10:38 pm

well written article regards on how one can view gaming in a positive light to aid one in social and personal development

By Vasily Tedeev

V is happy that he took up writing again, something he had dreamed of doing ever since he was nine years old. Being a nonconforming combination of a social party animal and a gamer, he realized that his life amounted not to just games and women, but that he had to pursue his passions and self-development in other areas as well.

Despite the changing image of modern games and gaming becoming more mainstream as its accepted in everyday life, the stereotypical image of a dedicated gamer (someone who plays more than the average amount of time) is of a reclusive guy who spends a lot of his time indoors playing games whether on his pc or console. Even to this day, a large part of society still tends to think of gaming as a waste of time, treating the person indulged in this activity as somehow fickle and unable to do anything better with his/her time. They may look down on various tournaments, championships and achievements in an online world, instead asking the gamer when he will get his life together and do something serious for once.

Let's take a look at the routine pattern of an online gamer, someone who plays variety of mmos over the course of his or her gaming indulgence. Typically mmos involve communication with fellow players in order to win a match, clear a dungeon or simply trade items. In the case of online first person shooters like counter strike, you require such skills as teamwork, the ability to predict your ally's next action, the ability to think and react on spot, the ability to stay calm in heated situations (think tournaments and clan wars). You could add many more examples to this list if you wanted to.

Now take a look at any guild structure in an mmo. Depending on its size, it will usually have officers responsible for coordinating the actions of guild members, raid leaders who organize various hunts, treasure keepers who watch over the vast resources available to the guild and many more. And of course, a guild leader who oversees the whole establishment and makes sure that everything runs smoothly. Successful guild leaders will normally posses such qualities as leadership, the ability to communicate effectively, the ability to delegate (assign appropriate tasks to others), etc. Some of these things you would expect from a corporate executive if this was played out in real life.

Now, in reality a guild leader could be an anti-social 18 year old who is constantly being bullied at school/college, someone who is unable to comfortably talk to others around him, may not be very successful with women and any other thing associated with this lifestyle. It would be pretty hard to believe for the people surrounding him in his life that he is the leader of a large guild with over a 100 members relying on his decisions and actions. How come a person who displays such qualities in a game is not able to reproduce the same qualities in real life? Some of us that have achieved progress within games are potentially unaware of the factors that allow them to do so. By learning about these factors, perhaps we could accomplish similar feats in life. We can list a lot of aspects outside of games that influence this mechanism such as the effects of society and the opinions of those around us, personal traits of our character, etc but the focus of this article is on gaming and it does have to play quite a big role in the process.

The fact that games can immerse the players in their environment has long been widely accepted. By getting involved in the gameplay and the world in an mmo, players detach their real life identity for a chance to create a new and improved image of themselves or role play a completely new persona.

I do not mean the typical role play present on RP servers but a much deeper variation of it where the player assumes a new personal story. According to Theodore Sarbin, a famous American psychologist, humans organize their experiences in terms of stories. We impose a structure on our daily experiences as an organizing principle of our psyche. Games, their online counterparts in particular, allow us to escape this structure, if only temporarily. A person is more likely to feel free and unintimidated to act and make decisions in an online world. The reason for that is the new identity assumed; i.e. I'm not Mike, a high school student who no one notices, I am Tyrael, a well known and respected fighter who keeps in touch with a lot of people on the server. This kind of attitude and environment alone already embrace a higher chance of personal progress and innovation which leads us onto the next point.

When playing online games, a person does not invest his personal ego and self-esteem as much as he or she does in real life. No matter how harsh the situation becomes, the player can always log off or even quit the game altogether with relatively few consequences. There is always the option of creating a new character, a new personal story. This advances individual development and interaction even more within a game as there are few risks to get physically and emotionally hurt. In real life, that is not usually the case.

In online games players are actually encouraged to socialize and form friendships, groups and alliances. At times we are forced to group with others to kill harder mobs or we need to be in a guild in order to own a battle keep. All these features help reinforce a more social environment, thus allowing players to shine. For this reason online worlds may also seem more stimulating than life for certain people as they encourage action and active involvement right here, right now.

Compare this to any other environment where socialization at various times and places is sometimes frowned upon or discouraged either by the person himself/herself or by general society principles. Think about approaching a girl you just saw at the bar. She immediately caught your attention, she is gorgeous and you would really like to get to know her better. However, as soon as you think about going over to her and striking up a conversation, your mind is flooded with protests. Wouldn't it look weird if I just talk to her, I mean I don't even know her. What if she doesn't like me? What if her friends think I'm boring? All these social excuses would never exist in an online game. Your real identity is safely hidden so human interactions are less personal and you do not depend on their outcome to affect your ego as much. The effect of negative feedback is greatly reduced. Thus, you are more likely to take action, assume responsibilities and experiment.

Another important aspect to look at is the way online games put most of its players on equal footing, regardless of their position in real life. Our day to day existence is largely governed by various status representations of ourselves. According to Davies and Harre (Positioning: The Social Construction of Selves), even the most routine interaction has some form of power play associated with it where people try to dominate the position of the other and attain a higher status. In a game, these kinds of mechanics are less important. One guild can house all types of players who can be lawyers, bankers, shop assistants, teachers, students, bus drivers, etc. Their real life statuses and achievements are not relevant and thus do not play such an assertive and influential role as they do normally.  That's why you can often end up in a situation where someone with a relatively high status in life (a successful businessman) would listen and follow the commands of someone with a relatively lower status such as a student. A similar situation rarely occurs elsewhere.

When you play a game, particularly an mmo; you often have to interact with others around you and the game world itself. This player-to-player and world interaction can take on a number of forms such as pvp, trading, chatting, raiding, questing, crafting, etc. Social structures such as parties, guilds and even player cities can be formed.

Despite the number of options available, this interplay is still limited to some degree by the games interface and mechanics. Sure this can be overcome by adding external features such as voice communication (e.g. Ventrilo), various feature expansions and some games even support mods. However, the achieved result will still be a long call from interaction in real life.

When you are talking to someone in person, there are many more factors to consider and digest. Research has shown that only about 7% of your communication is achieved through language. The rest is made up by your body language and the various signals your body sends out each nanosecond for your brain to digest and interpret this data in its own way. This naturally puts some strain on the participants. Emotions are much harder to hide and reactions of others can have a larger impact on your well being.

A person who thinks of himself as shy would naturally want to avoid the stress of a real life interaction so he turns to games where these types of processes and interfaces are limited. Here you can relax and be the person you know you can be without others having to influence you and your mood by external references such as your looks or any other aspect you may feel insecure about. In an online game, you will be judged only on the success of your interactions provided by the gameplay interfaces within that game, be it the social interactions (leading a guild), challenges (pvp and various arenas), finance (becoming a known trader and manipulating the economy), etc.

This allows a gamer to feel more at ease and let go of the pressure and worries associated with real life practices.  For example, by eliminating the need for visual interaction (such as knowing the look of another person or maintaining good body language), it allows the person to deem them irrelevant and thus be less vulnerable due to his inability to successfully manipulate the said interfaces. This lack of stress allows him or her to fully realize their potential in a game if they choose to; be it becoming a great team player who everyone trusts or a visionary leader who puts together a hardcore guild with people willing to obey his commands. Also, by reducing the variety of interactive elements, a game allows its players to excel in existing ones. It is much easier to progress and move on ahead if you have the goals and core processes laid out right in front of you and mmos achieve just that.

Fundamentally, playing is the core process by which humans learn about the world around them. It feels satisfying to complete a challenge, beat your personal score or win at a pvp match and it encourages further progression. Games can play a much larger role in personal development and understanding more about our own nature and growth if only we allow them to.

Back to top Go down
Snow
The Almighty Banana
The Almighty Banana
Snow

Male
Number of posts : 6807
IGN[Game NickName] : Snow, Nuts, Nut, Snowball, Splash, Snowy
Current Status : Busy at School
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: MMO Players - Hidden Champions?   MMO Players - Hidden Champions? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 11:47 am

Uhmm good story, but I think a bit of a decent gamer knows this aswell him/herself
The thing is, even if you excel in these aspects in a game, the games do not give you much opportunity to bring these aspects over to real life.

For example, you become a great guild leader know by the whole server, but you'r shy, antisocial, fugly irl etc etc.
Even though you have a whole server under your control or whatever it won't help you in your real life, and it will only make stuff worse. If because of the good feeling you get from gaming you start to game more then you have the time for, you start to avoid your real life more just to game. leading to you skipping your job or school, maybee let down the eventual few friends you had irl, staying up longer then good for your health etc.

Because gaming is not something accepted as much in real life, and achievements in game usually can't be transfered to real life this all doesn't help you much.

But I do think that eventually gaming gets mroe accepted then now, and implemented more into real lifes, where people can actually acchieve stuff in real life through gaming. Because internet is being used so much for communicating and it's only becoming bigger.

I'm actually afraid that eventually the real life communication will not be as accepted as it is now and everything will be digital and eventually people will be afraid to see each other in real life leading to all people dieing irl o_0
Back to top Go down
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8485/1snowflakecardmadebyneoc
Shu
Celestial Council
Celestial Council
Shu

Male

PostSubject: Re: MMO Players - Hidden Champions?   MMO Players - Hidden Champions? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 12:36 pm

hehe snow.i think in the end it all comes to the person own belief in life and how he/she wish to live it.

anyone can be a gamer.but that does not mean we should neglect things irl unless it is by choice.think the writer just want to say we all have hidden potential and gaming can be a platform in learning it if we choose to view it in positive aspect hehe

but i agreed with u nowadays more ppl prefer to avoid confronting others irl as more get net savvy and learn to use medium such as twitter/msn etc...no matter it be for pursuit of love or other issue.in the end it might be really turn out real life communication will be only be when using it for outdoor work.

i foresee more and more jobs will be done at home in near future when there is more technology breakthrough hehe.
Back to top Go down
Neoyoshi
Grandpa
Grandpa
Neoyoshi

Male
Number of posts : 1711
IGN[Game NickName] : Neoyoshi
Current Status : Happy
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: MMO Players - Hidden Champions?   MMO Players - Hidden Champions? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 6:39 pm

This is still a personal perspective coming from someone else's opinion on the human condition, no amount of psychoanalysis can unravel whether or not that Night elf is a "well-to-do somebody"
or...whatever the overactive brain wishes to scrutinize.

I come across articles like these roughly once a week, and they all sum up the same elements that people nitpick at - which drives me crazy sometimes: "Video games are bad for your well being"

But what about "Texting while driving?" Oh no, let's not nitpick at the leading cause of head-on automobile conclusions for 2009 in the United States.

These articles wouldn't be so bad if the writer had a sense of realism of how things really are, they always illustrate the "average gamer" as a complete loser, and it almost seems like a near impossibility to base this on grounded reality, that gamers are probably more normal then the Stock broker or your New York business man, yet people tend to forget that video games are just a hobby, not a way of life; and theirs no poll out there looking at where this margin is - it's simply made up.
Back to top Go down
Shu
Celestial Council
Celestial Council
Shu

Male

PostSubject: Re: MMO Players - Hidden Champions?   MMO Players - Hidden Champions? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:18 pm

well neo,perspective is hard to shake off.esp when one does not understand it.

my mum still ask me not to log on irc chatroom.she say irl have a lot of people who lure u out to meet u irl then rape or scam u of money ^^

starting few years of me surfing she repeat this to me every once a while no matter how much i educate her on the subject :)
Back to top Go down
Neoyoshi
Grandpa
Grandpa
Neoyoshi

Male
Number of posts : 1711
IGN[Game NickName] : Neoyoshi
Current Status : Happy
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: MMO Players - Hidden Champions?   MMO Players - Hidden Champions? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Ashura wrote:
well neo,perspective is hard to shake off.esp when one does not understand it.

my mum still ask me not to log on irc chatroom.she say irl have a lot of people who lure u out to meet u irl then rape or scam u of money ^^

starting few years of me surfing she repeat this to me every once a while no matter how much i educate her on the subject :)

That's so very true and a great point you make there, take my own mother for example, before she started using the internet herself (which was only recently after me and my sister bought her a Mac notebook for her birthday) she's had a bit of a revelation about her opinions with the online world, though some aspects of it will never change in her own mind - the very understanding of it makes some things easier for her to grasp once she took the plunge.

But i still every-so-often, i have to try and convince her the internet itself is not the workings of the devil himself.lol

When it comes to stuff like World of Warcraft and other online trends, i rather her simply not know about it. :P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MMO Players - Hidden Champions?   MMO Players - Hidden Champions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1