Aetherius Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aetherius Network

International multi-gaming guild since 2006.

HomeAetheriusEventsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Come chat with us on Discord! It's where everyone is at now! https://discord.gg/aBSngGf
Check out our Aetherius Network Facebook Page to see upcoming news and/or enter giveaways.
Follow us on Twitter!

My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chaofun
Advisory Board
Advisory Board
Chaofun

Male
Number of posts : 570
IGN[Game NickName] : xChaoFuNx, DoMiNiC, _DOMINIC_
Registration date : 2008-04-02

My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle Empty
PostSubject: My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle   My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 12:45 am

My friend and I are in my neighbors yard. My neighbor tells us that we both have to cut 10 acres of his lawn and in doing so he'll pay us $100 for us to split apart. My friend cuts 2 acres/hour and I cut 4 acres/hour. We decide to split the lawn so we can both work evenly. How many hours did it take for us to cut all 10 acres of grass? How much money did my friend and I get as individuals after we split the money?
Back to top Go down
-Phobia
Red Captain
Red Captain
-Phobia

Male
Number of posts : 588
IGN[Game NickName] : Phoby

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle   My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:13 pm

My math is pretty horrible sometimes...

Person A cuts 2 acres/hour, Person B cuts 4 acres/hour. Together that's 6 acres/60 mins, which is an acre every 10 minutes at a 1:2 ratio between the two people.

Given that, it would take 100 minutes to cut 10 acres, which is an hour and 40 minutes.

If you split the money according to the work each person put in, Person A would get half of whatever B gets. So person A would get $33 and person B would get $66 and you can spend the last dollar on can drinks to kill the massive thirst you probably have by now. Or $33.50 and $66.50...

If you split the money evenly, well that's just 50 bucks each.

amirite? Or is there some trick here?
Back to top Go down
Dan
Slave
Slave
Dan

Male
Number of posts : 534
IGN[Game NickName] : --------
Current Status : Normal
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle   My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 4:20 pm

dont they both cut 5 acres each. so 1 will be 2hr 30min. and the other 1hr 15min. and the money is split 50/50.
Back to top Go down
-Phobia
Red Captain
Red Captain
-Phobia

Male
Number of posts : 588
IGN[Game NickName] : Phoby

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle   My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:24 pm

Bah...stupid wording....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle   My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My friend and I cutting the lawn riddle
Page 1 of 1