Aetherius Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aetherius Network

International multi-gaming guild since 2006.

HomeAetheriusEventsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Come chat with us on Discord! It's where everyone is at now! https://discord.gg/aBSngGf
Check out our Aetherius Network Facebook Page to see upcoming news and/or enter giveaways.
Follow us on Twitter!

Mmorpg class balance and issues.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Snow
The Almighty Banana
The Almighty Banana
Snow

Male
Number of posts : 6807
IGN[Game NickName] : Snow, Nuts, Nut, Snowball, Splash, Snowy
Current Status : Busy at School
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Mmorpg class balance and issues. Empty
PostSubject: Mmorpg class balance and issues.   Mmorpg class balance and issues. Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 11:29 am

I was bored and decided to think about what is the main issue with mmo balance.

The most balanced mmo is based on a "rock paper scissors" system.
The most basic rpg for that has just 3 classes. Tank, Healer, Dps.

But the problem with this is, there are a lot of people out there with different tastes and interests. And having just 3 classes doesn't appeal to a huge audience anymore. The main reason for this is, because with the setup of a tank, healer, dps there is no room for solo play. A healer can't kill anything without dmg, the tank almost can't kill anything or will take hours to kill it and the dps can't take dmg.

So game creators have to make their classes being able to solo. This means that they have to break(adjust) the basic 3 classes. Giving a healer dmg and some tank power, a dps some tank power and recovery and a tank some dps and recovery. At the same time they have to make more then 3 classes to create a deeper and more varying gameplay for their players.

I'm not sure which process their classes undergo, but it's obvious that in the end the rock paper scissors system is broken or not in game at all.

The problem is since you have the 3 base archetypes, all the classes you make should fall under one of the 3. A lot of game makers do this, BUT they forget a main point. There are a lot of other criterias that they add to characters. Since the characters have to be able to solo, they add dmg to healers for example.

BUT there is not just 1 type of dmg. There is Physical and Magical type. Unless you convert all dmg to be just dmg, and not 2 different types. You can not just make 3 classes for each basic archetype (healer, tank, dps) everytime you decide to add classes, but also split these for each type of dmg.

This means, if you make a healer and tank that do physical dmg and a dps that does magic dmg. The balance is broken. And when you make a new class you have to make 3 and not just 1 to solve this. The 3 classes that you add will have to be a healer and tank that do magic dmg and a dps that does physical dmg.

BUT, there is another problem that breaks this. The characters are not all close range or long range. So if you have the 3 base type characters for each type of dmg. BUT you have 1 ranged dps and the rest is close range. There still is no balance.

And here is one of the main point I'm trying to make. If you want to keep class balance. You have to make as many classes as the types you split them in, and at the same time having exactly same ammount of counter classes.

This means, that we now have a ranged type and a close range type, also magic and physical type of characters. To even this out you will have to have the 3 base classes for each type and have each type for each other type.

Here is how this would look like:

Ragned physical: dps / healer / tank
Ranged magical: dps / healer / tank
Close range physical: dps / healer / tank
Closer range magical: dps / healer / tank

As you can see you can easily calculate how many classes you need to keep the balance, depending on how many main criterias you add to a class. As it is here you will need at least 12 classes to keep the balance. (2 types of dmg x 2 types of classes x 3 the base classes)

Now this is a very simple version, but these are the main types that all of nowdays mmorpgs have. To lower the ammount of classes you would need to change types. Making every class ranged or close range, would mean you can have 6 classes, and making them deal same type of dmg would lower it down to 3 classes.

But since the games are undergoing an evolution and not a devolution, I would say that you would have to look in the other way. Which means you would have to keep the current named types, and actually add more of them. Types as: aoe and single dmg x2 types = (2 x 2 x 2)x3 = 18 classes. This would mean that you would have classes like: "ranged, physical, single target, healer" or "close range, magical, aoe, tank"

And now that I mentioned the magical tank. This is another main point that I want to look at. Since most mmorpgs make a difference between magical and physical damage it brings another big issue with balance. In most games 70% of the monsters or more deals physical damage. Making it way more usefull to pump up your physical defence more then your magical defence. To make the class balance work right not only you will need to implement the 3 base classes to each type that you add to the game, but also make each type as usefull as the other one.

This means that you would have to make the ammount of enemies of each type in the game world (almost) the same.

For example when you implement a: "Man-eating Slug From Hell" which has 20000 physical attack and needs a physical tank. You would have to implement a: "Vegitarian Slug from Heaven" which has 20000 magical attack and needs a magic tank to take it on.

Also you should make enemies that do both type of dmg. And have fields that have enemies that spawn in turns (when you kill a physical dmg enemy it spawns a magical one of the same strength when it respawns instead).

Having this type of balance isn't enough yet though.
There is also the issue with overpowered or underpowered skills. This especially bothers players in pvp. Also one of the main reasons that lots of players tend to choose a certain class, not because they actually like it, but because the class seems or is imbalanced due to its skills. And eventually this leads to so called "nerfing" of the class. Changing classes leads to a lot of complains, and is something neither side is waiting for.

This is why the skills have to be tought through a lot, and this is the reason you don't want to have too many classes. Because each class needs to have its individual type of skills, and every time that you add a skill to 1 class you have to add 1 skill of the same value to each of the other classes.

And here is my vieuw at how to look at skills.
Each class should have a balance. Because you have 3 type of classes. You can put each skill under 1 type of character. But because each character has to be able to solo none of the characters is completely pure build.

This leads to the fact that you will have to split each character in a point system or a % system.
A healer would be: 50% healing 20% tank 20% dmg dealer
A tank would be: 50% tank 20% healer 20% dmg dealer
A dps would be: 50% dmg dealer 20% tank 20% healer

Each skill that you will be adding is worth a certain ammount of % for each type of class, or even multiple types. (This example is long, and I'm using just random numbers in it, to show how.)

For example: "Divine Barrier Of Invincible Recovery" A skill that blocks 800 damage and heals you for 500 health points over a period of 10 seconds, with a casting time of 1 second, and with a cooldown of 1 minute, costs 250 mana.

This skill, heals, but at the same time it helps tanking, but it does no dmg. Also its tanking value is higher then its healing value (absorb 800) (heal 500) And if we say that every 1000 health every 1 second of damage, healing, or tanking is worth 1% And that every 10 mana cost gives 0,01% of cost back and every 10 seconds cooldown give another 0,05% back (all depending on how the combat system in the game is, and every developer should calculate their values depending on their combat system) this would mean that this skill is worth 800hp / 1000hp = 0,8% tanking 500hp / 10 / 1000hp = 0,05% healing. 60sec cooldown / 10 x 0,05 + 250 mana cost / 10 x 0,01 = 0,55% back. And since % wise this one gives 0,05/(0,8%+0,05%)x100=5,89% healing and that would be 0,032 points of healing back and the other 0,52 points to tanking. Then 0,8%-0,52% and 0,05%-0,032% Leaving the cost of tanking at 0,28% and the cost of healing at 0,023%

And if you give this as the 1st skill to a tank, it would mean that he has: 49,72% tanking, 19,973% healing and 20% dps of skills left to be added.

Now because it is an online game and you will always be developing it you can not make a character use up 100% of it's potential. So you should have its skills at 90% max at start.

As you see it is important to look at every aspect of the skill 1st before you determine how much points it's worth in each area. Having a point skill for skills helps you, or even if you decide to let the players choose their own skills, limit to how strong each character gets, and since every one of them will have same maximum, and you actually make sure that you calculate every aspect of the skill to have the right ammount of points or % given to that skill.

Also after you add such a skill in this case to the tank. You will need to be adding a skill that is worth exactly the same value to each of the other classes. Because adding something to 1 and willing to maintain balance, means you have to add something of the same value to every class.

But even if you add something of the same value, you also have to make sure that every skill you add has the same kind of usefullness as the other one you added. Adding a 1 hit kill skill to a character and giving all others a healing skill that is worth same ammount of points and same cooldown, still doesn't keep it balanced. But making sure every class has skills that are worth exactly the same ammount in how usefull they are, and their effect is very important.

Then besides all this there is the issue with equipment. In some games (especially f2p) you can become extremely overpowered no matter how bad yor character is, as long as you can get this and that equips (in f2p games often with the help of cash shop). Which also means that looking for balance in an f2p game is looking for something impossible, as long as they keep adding items that actually affect gameplay to their cash shop.

This is why I am looking at this as if there was no cash shop.
To start with You could make 2 type of equipment, an obvious best for pvp, and other pve equipment. The main complains about equips comes from the pvp side. This is why you can make equips that have bonuses that only count for pvp. And are way less effective in pve, and are gained by pvp. But most important of all, is that the equips are possible to be gained by everyone. The somewhat easy to get end game equips shouldn't be MUCH weaker then the hard to get ones, providing as few difference in gear as possible. The hard to get ones should still be worth getting though, or a lot of people would be dissapointed.

I will end this for now as it is a huge wall of text already.
Hope ya enjoyed reading it if you actually made it this far.
Back to top Go down
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8485/1snowflakecardmadebyneoc
Dan
Slave
Slave
Dan

Male
Number of posts : 534
IGN[Game NickName] : --------
Current Status : Normal
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Mmorpg class balance and issues.   Mmorpg class balance and issues. Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:01 pm

you must of been very bored lol... but yea what you say does make sense and was a interesting read.

maybe you should get into game designing ^^
Back to top Go down
Shu
Celestial Council
Celestial Council
Shu

Male
Number of posts : 10794
IGN[Game NickName] : Ashura/Iori Yagami
Current Status : Busy at Work
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Mmorpg class balance and issues.   Mmorpg class balance and issues. Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:33 pm

dan u read whole of it?i got lost after reading 20%...then my system failure and i scroll to bottom .........

anyway why ask for balance in a mmo.a lot of ppl do not wish to just be average soldier.there a GIJoe in everyone of us to be better than the usual players in a game....i certainly will not want to be a max lvl player and get taken down by 2 max lvl as if it were a certainty that 2 will always win 1. more fun for us if by using right tactic and skills one player can take down 10+ players even tot they the same lvl heh.

also ppl mainly do not wish to be taken out of the fun example a healer player wish to pvp as well even tot healer class not suppose to be good in solo pvp..gone are the days where class is like AD&D which every class is well defined.instead most class now is a hybrid of sort.the problem now is not balance of each class since sooner or later the obvious class that is the leader of the pack will get nerf due to complain and feedback from players.the thing is now is the lack of good management and foresight in managing a good mmorpg from the company.hence f2p mmorpg is kinna losing players interest atm and more of us flock instead to try p2p mmo << which might not be manage better but at least it put a stop on the company to add items that affect pvp in cash shop.whether it is well run or not is another issue that is uncertain since p2p mmo tend to come out with a lot of bugs and unfinished maps.in fact most p2p mmo i heard for the past few years is badly promoted as in they all came out too early.^^

f2p company will probably get the right formula sooner or later for right elements in a cash shop that will both earn them profit and keep the player base loyalty and interest intact but for now p2p mmo is a lot more attractive atm for longer term gameplay.but we gamers are not idiot also.if the game found to be overbalance with loads of issue we will always leave and find other mmo anyway :)

the thing is the concept of a mmo lifespan.due to present restrictions as in we only using either keyboard or gamepad to play mmo.when we stay a certain time in any game we tend to get bored.when we listen to a music a million times we tend to want to hear other music ^^

the ONLY way for mmo in the future to keep audience and extend lifespan is allow AI in a game and let it evolve by itself.there should be a master AI which is impartial and allow no corruption instead of GM.there should be VR helmet or sleep pod instead of keyboard where we can play game in a VR world and get needed rest while playing.we should feel some degree of pain and pleasure when playing using VR as in if mobs stab u with a dagger u will feel 10% of the pain u feel irl,and when u get buff up u should feel the power running through ur veins,when u have sex or get kiss u should feel... :rawr: *cough*..u get my point=p.they should even allow our taste bud to be fool and what we eat in game is actually the same as eating outside irl.

:ahuhu:
Back to top Go down
Shu
Celestial Council
Celestial Council
Shu

Male
Number of posts : 10794
IGN[Game NickName] : Ashura/Iori Yagami
Current Status : Busy at Work
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Mmorpg class balance and issues.   Mmorpg class balance and issues. Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:37 pm

one thing is certain for me.as long we playing with friends and enjoying the game.even if the game turn out bad we still have a hell of a fun while playing it while it lasted.then its time to quit and run to next mmo to call home :)
Back to top Go down
Snow
The Almighty Banana
The Almighty Banana
Snow

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mmorpg class balance and issues.   Mmorpg class balance and issues. Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:55 pm

o_0 I agree on ya points shu, I actually was looking only at game balance not at other aspects.

The thing is you say, it's not possible for a player to win 1 vs 2 when it's balanced. But that's not true, when there is perfect balance, the pros will be determined from the noobs, but the noobs won't be slaughtered by the other noobs that picked the overpowered class. Also it will limit to how overpowered someone can get (A pro with an overpowered character vs a noob with an underpowered character is 4x as much as the noob can handle lol)

It gives a more even field of pvp. And it's even more interesting for pve.

Also as you said everyone should be hybrid, I mention this halfway my post, but I guess ya didn't make it that far XD
Back to top Go down
Dias
Commander
Commander
Dias

Male
Number of posts : 1396
IGN[Game NickName] : Dias Trakand
Current Status : Happy
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Mmorpg class balance and issues.   Mmorpg class balance and issues. Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 4:33 pm

balance? what's that?
Back to top Go down
Snow
The Almighty Banana
The Almighty Banana
Snow

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mmorpg class balance and issues.   Mmorpg class balance and issues. Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 6:57 am

ahaha my article actually got 1k vieuws on mmosite lol I think I should become a writer :ahuhu:

http://my.mmosite.com/pliplop/Blog/Item/3ab65361b9dbe5a30f41342da92e6c16.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mmorpg class balance and issues.   Mmorpg class balance and issues. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mmorpg class balance and issues.
Page 1 of 1