Aetherius Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aetherius Network

International multi-gaming guild since 2006.

HomeAetheriusEventsLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Come chat with us on Discord! It's where everyone is at now! https://discord.gg/aBSngGf
Check out our Aetherius Network Facebook Page to see upcoming news and/or enter giveaways.
Follow us on Twitter!

EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DisrocteD
Captain
Captain
DisrocteD

Male
Number of posts : 207
IGN[Game NickName] : DisrocteD, Evangelion
Current Status : Happy
Registration date : 2008-04-13

EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Empty
PostSubject: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 4:54 pm

BattleForge(TM), a new fantasy online real-time strategy game where you assemble your own army with collectible trading cards. Win, trade and buy your cards online to create your ultimate deck.(1) Mix and match the elements of your cards to play with your friends online and conquer massive online battlegrounds.

For mortals caught in a clash between insane gods and ancient giants, standing together is the only option. Using the forces of Fire, Frost, Nature and Shadow a mysterious Forge which makes legends come to life, is their single hope to create armies powerful enough to overcome these impossible odds. It is now time to set out and reclaim an epic fantasy world which has been overthrown by sinister powers in the twilight of a dying sun.
Click here for full image

EA's fantasy-themed BattleForge (a hybrid RTS/CCG-styled MMO) finally made the switch to free-to-play, after suffering months of lackluster sales. Although it's a game we haven't given much coverage in the past, it's worth mentioning since the previous pay-to-play model is probably what kept most curious gamers at bay. Originally priced around $50 US at launch, box sales were dismal, despite favorable reviews and a successful micro-transaction model. (Each of your "players" in BattleForge are represented by virtual, collectible cards that can be purchased via in-game booster packs and decks.)

A couple months later, EA dropped the price down to $30 with the hopes of making the game more accessible. Finally, in late May, they did away with the "box price" altogether, offering the BattleForge client as a free download with a limited number of cards and a few other minor restrictions. In-store retail boxes are still available, which come with 3000 in-game points that can be used to purchase new cards. EA is hoping that by moving to the free-to-play model with micro-transactions to drive revenue, the game will finally begin reaching the majority of its target audience.

What do you think of this "MMORTS-CCG" hybrid? Leave a comment and let us know if you think BattleForge is a game you'd like to see ZAM cover from time to time.

edit by shu
Back to top Go down
Dias
Commander
Commander
Dias

Male
Number of posts : 1396
IGN[Game NickName] : Dias Trakand
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Hm, having EA behind its back , this game must have a solid budget , lets see how it turns out :)
Back to top Go down
Snow
The Almighty Banana
The Almighty Banana
Snow

Male
Number of posts : 6807
IGN[Game NickName] : Snow, Nuts, Nut, Snowball, Splash, Snowy
Current Status : Busy at School
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Ahaha, EA is gonna fall, WAR sucks big time after you get to a certain point.
And the 30 day free trial that you get with the game is just enough to find it out.
A lot of people didn't buy more days after those 30 days.
And I bet they hoped for way more money from it.
Back to top Go down
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8485/1snowflakecardmadebyneoc
DisrocteD
Captain
Captain
DisrocteD

Male

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 5:10 pm

the graphic and gameplay is very interesting very diferent than fantasy in this game is TACTIC and WAR
i will add tommorow screenshots ingame. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Snow
The Almighty Banana
The Almighty Banana
Snow

Male

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 5:12 pm

I lost interest the moment I saw the 1st screenie, but RTS just doesn't appeal to me.
I'm sure RTS fans ll love this.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 6:13 pm

imma look into it later
Back to top Go down
Shu
Celestial Council
Celestial Council
Shu

Male
Number of posts : 10794
IGN[Game NickName] : Ashura/Iori Yagami
Current Status : Busy at Work
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 7:23 pm

just watch the video.look interest at first glance but i thinking after u play and this type of scene is shown over and over again it will get boring very fast.expensive as hell trying to buy new cards everytime they come out heh
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 8:04 pm

you mean u have to buy cards with RL money or buy them in RL? im confused
Back to top Go down
Snow
The Almighty Banana
The Almighty Banana
Snow

Male

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Pokemon cards, trade em all!!!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 8:19 pm

dont make me keel u snow...
Back to top Go down
DisrocteD
Captain
Captain
DisrocteD

Male

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 11:36 am

you can buy extra cards if you want.Btw if somebody wants to play i can share my account its no problem i dont play very much
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 11:49 am

i wanna try it if u dont mind dis but probably a bit later tho
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 6:38 pm

i received 3 Beta "Friend Keys" ... so if any1 wanna try out this game .. i will send them the key and the download link in PM ... cheers
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 9:23 pm

I'm also received 3 beta friends key, anyone interesting can play too? :P
Back to top Go down
Shu
Celestial Council
Celestial Council
Shu

Male
Number of posts : 10794
IGN[Game NickName] : Ashura/Iori Yagami
Current Status : Busy at Work
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 5:06 am

EA's fantasy-themed BattleForge (a hybrid RTS/CCG-styled MMO) finally made the switch to free-to-play, after suffering months of lackluster sales. Although it's a game we haven't given much coverage in the past, it's worth mentioning since the previous pay-to-play model is probably what kept most curious gamers at bay. Originally priced around $50 US at launch, box sales were dismal, despite favorable reviews and a successful micro-transaction model. (Each of your "players" in BattleForge are represented by virtual, collectible cards that can be purchased via in-game booster packs and decks.)

A couple months later, EA dropped the price down to $30 with the hopes of making the game more accessible. Finally, in late May, they did away with the "box price" altogether, offering the BattleForge client as a free download with a limited number of cards and a few other minor restrictions. In-store retail boxes are still available, which come with 3000 in-game points that can be used to purchase new cards. EA is hoping that by moving to the free-to-play model with micro-transactions to drive revenue, the game will finally begin reaching the majority of its target audience.

What do you think of this "MMORTS-CCG" hybrid? Leave a comment and let us know if you think BattleForge is a game you'd like to see ZAM cover from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 6:55 am

mmm i played it a few days during cb , and it seemed ok but there were only a few quests i could do then ... and they were very hard solo , and didn't have some1 to party with to finish them ... i got annoyed and left lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model   EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EA's BattleForge Switches to Free-to-Play Model
Page 1 of 1